What are the Most Common Lies?
Whether we are saving feelings or saving ourselves, here are the most common lies.
I know the most common lie I tell myself is, "I don't need to write that down, I'll remember" and the lie I tell others most often is, "I'll be there in 5 minutes." I've said I'll be there in 5 minutes when I know with my whole heart that I won't be there in 5 minutes. Whether I'm 2 exits away or just jumping in the shower, I'll be there in 5 minutes usually ends a phone call pretty quickly.
DirectTV surveyed U.S. adults to find out what lies they are telling and whom they are telling them to. The 10 most frequently used lies are:
- "I'm fine." (92%)
- "I love this present." (80%)
- "Sorry, I'm sick." (78%)
- "I didn't see your text." (72%)
- "Let's keep in touch." (70%)
- "This meal you made is delicious." (70%)
- "Leaving in 5 minutes." (69%)
- "On my way." (66%)
- "I'll be ready in 15 minutes." (65%)
- "No, you don't need to lose weight." (63%)
The top groups of people we lie to.
- Significant others