Summertime Myths- BUSTED!
It's the first day of summer... officially! Although, it really doesn't feel like summer here in Iowa... I mean, rain? seriously, Iowa?!.... it is important to bust those summer myths so we can all enjoy the weather when it finally arrives.
What are some of the summer myths that you may have heard? Well, here are the top ones that have been busted.
1. "You can catch a cold from air conditioning." This isn't exactly true. There is some evidence that running the AC constantly can dry out your nasal passages and make it slightly easier for viruses to enter your body. However, you won't get a cold so use that air conditioning!
2. "Any drink will rehydrate you on a hot day." Not exactly true, drinks with a bunch of sugar or alcohol can actually de-hydrate you. Basically make sure you mix some water in on a hot day.
3. "You can't get a sunburn on a cloudy day." Unfortunately this one isn't true. Clouds don't block out UV rays, so you can still burn even when it's cloudy. Wear sunscreen!
4. "Eating garlic will keep mosquitoes away." I have never heard this one but apparently Ggrlic and other gimmicks like essential oils, ultrasonic devices, and smartphone apps all have little if any scientific evidence showing they'll protect you. Stick with bug sprays!
5. "A dip in the pool can double as a shower." I wish! Pools are usually filled with bacteria capable of causing diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps, and infections. Realistically, you should shower after you get in the pool!