Moscow Mules Could Be Poisonous
Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division puts a ban on the popular drink's signature mug.
The Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division announced that Iowans will not be able to drink Moscow Mule's (or any beverage) out of copper mugs. The division adopted the federal FDA code that "prohibits copper from coming into direct contact with foods that have a pH below 6.0." Many beverages, including the Moscow Mule, have a pH balance well blow 6.0.
If the copper were to get into the drink, it is considered poisonous and can cause foodborne illnesses.
The Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division did say that copper mugs with an interior of another metal like nickel or stainless steel would be allowed and are available.