Highway Work Requires Ramp Closures, Lane Shifts In Waterloo
A construction project will require lane shifts and ramp closures that will impact traffic on a busy highway in Waterloo all summer long.
The road work is taking place on U.S. Highway 20 from Iowa Highway 21 to the Cedar River near Evansdale. According to the Iowa Department of Transportation, the project requires placing eastbound U.S. 20 traffic onto the highway's westbound lanes in a head-to-head configuration starting at 9 PM Sunday, weather permitting.
Once all U.S. 20 traffic is in the westbound lanes, pavement removal and replacement of the eastbound lanes will begin. The head-to-head lane configuration will be in effect until the eastbound lanes are replaced. After work on the eastbound lanes is complete, replacement of the westbound lanes of the highway will begin.
During the project, several ramps along U.S. 20 will be closed with marked detour, IDOT officials said. The closures effect the following ramps:
- Southbound Interstate 380 to westbound U.S 20: Detour will follow U.S. 218, Shaulis Road and Iowa 21.
- Eastbound U.S. 20 ramps to southbound and northbound U.S. 218: Detour will follow Iowa 21, Shaulis Road and U.S. 218.
- Northbound U.S. 218 to westbound U.S. 20: Detour will follow Shaulis Road and Iowa 21.
- Iowa 21 to eastbound U.S. 20: Detour will follow Shaulis Road and U.S. 218.
- From Evansdale, River Forest Road ramp to northbound Interstate-380/westbound U.S. 20: No marked detour route.
The entire project is scheduled to be completed by mid-fall 2019.