Happy Birthday Iowa
On December 28th, 1846 Iowa was granted Statehood. That means today is Iowa's 170th birthday! Happy Birthday Iowa.
When asked what Iowa's secret is to a long life, the state responded with "Corn, Hogs and not being Minnesota."
Here are a few facts about our state that will increase your Iowa knowledge and make you a hero to anyone who finds enjoyment in facts about states:
- Ripley's Believe It or Not has dubbed Burlington's Snake Alley the most crooked street in the world.
- Strawberry Point is the home of the world's largest strawberry.
- The state's smallest city park is situated in the middle of the road in Hiteman.
- Scranton is home to Iowa's oldest water tower still in service.
- Dubuque is the state's oldest city.
- Crystal Lake is home to a statue of the world's largest bullhead fish.
- Rathbun Dam and Reservoir is the largest body of water in the state.
- Spirit Lake is the largest glacier-made lake in the state.
- West Okoboji is the deepest natural lake in the state. Its depth is 136 feet.
- Imes Bridge is the oldest of Madison County's six bridges.