A fire disrupted classes and forced the temporary evacuation of a Waterloo elementary school on Wednesday morning (Oct. 5, 2016).

Firefighters were called to the Dr. Walter Cunningham School For Excellence at 1224 Mobile St. around 8:45 a.m. Upon arrival, crews discovered and quickly extinguished a small fire in one of the boys bathrooms, said Lt. Chris Ferguson of Waterloo Fire Rescue.

According to Ferguson, the blaze caused minimal damage to the structure and its contents. He said there were no injuries associated with the fire and everyone was allowed back into the building a short time after the blaze was put out.

Investigators determined the fire was started by a juvenile or juveniles playing with a lighter in the bathroom, Ferguson said. He added that the case has been turned over to Waterloo police and the Black Hawk County Attorney’s Office for further investigation and follow-up.