BnB’s Lainie Brooks Asks – What’s Your Favorite Apple Recipe?
It's not technically fall yet but the season is almost here. The days are growing shorter, the nights cooler. The leaves are starting to change and the Iowa corn and bean fields are turning golden in color.
With the change in the season, there is a change in diet for many people. I don't know about you, but the cooler it gets outside the more I lean on old comfort favorites like casseroles, stews and homemade baked goodies.
There's just something about apples in the fall that scream YUMMMMMMY! It just so happens that today (09-17-15) is 'National Apple Dumpling Day'. So I thought I would share one of my favorite apple dumpling recipes.
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 C. Shortening
- 1/3 C. cold water
- 8 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced thick
- 8 teaspoons butter
- 9 teaspoons cinnamon-sugar (divided)
- 1 1/2 C. packed brown sugar
- 1 C. water
- 1/2 C. butter (cubed)
1. Combine flour and salt: cut in shortening untill crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into eight portions. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. (I usually wrap each one with cling wrap and leave it in the fridge overnight)
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll each portion of dough between two lightly floured sheets of waxed paper into a 7 in. square. Divide the apples evenly on square. Place 1 teaspoon of butter on top of each mound and sprinkle 1 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar on
3. Gently wrap the apple in the pastry and don't forget to pinch the edges and tuck them under to seal. Place in a greased 13 x 9 baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
4. Combine sauce ingredients in a large pan and bring to a boil, stirring until blended. Pour over apples.
5. Bake 50 - 55 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown. Bast occasionally with sauce. Serve warm. I love to serve it with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Do you have a favorite apple dumpling recipe or maybe just a favorite apple recipe in general? I'd love to hear about it. Who knows, maybe it will become one of my favorites too and we can share it with all of rest of the K-Country listeners? Please share below.