Account Set Up for Maynard House Fire Victims
Authorities are looking at an electrical malfunction, that may have caused a fire that destroyed a rural Fayette County home.
Fire crews from Maynard and Westgate were called out late Tuesday night (May 17), at about 10:30pm, to the Royce and Vanese Bantz home, located just southeast of Maynard. The family was home at the time, but were able to escape unharmed; however one of their dogs died in the heavy smoke.
According to sources, the fire started shortly after an electrical breaker was tripped. After the power came back on, fire and smoke erupted in the upstairs.
Firefighters were at the scene for about 6 hours, but could not save the structure.
The American Red Cross has been called in to help the family with housing and clothing.
An account for the Bantz family has been set up at the Maynard Savings Bank.