It’s Hunger Action Month – Here’s How You Can Help Locally
The Northeast Iowa Food Bank, a member of the Feeding America network of food banks, is observing Hunger Action Month TM – an initiative designed to mobilize the public to take action and join the movement to help end hunger.
This September, the Northeast Iowa Food Bank, together with other food banks, will mobilize the pubic during Hunger Action Month by holding events throughout the country to inspire people to take action to help the millions of people who are food insecure in the United States.
“48,000 Northeast Iowans lack access to an adequate supply of food, and the Northeast Iowa Food Bank is eager to rally around Hunger Action Month as we continue our fight to solve this issue,” - Barbara Prather, Northeast Iowa Food Bank Executive Director
Prather goes on to say, “September is an opportunity for all of us to take simple steps towards supporting those in need. The color orange represents hunger. The Food Bank will commemorate Hunger Action Day, by asking the community to wear orange on Thursday, September 8th.”
A full calendar of 30 Ways in 30 Days is available on our website. This is a listing of 30 different ways to take action during each of the 30 days in September.
Some simple ways you can participate in Hunger Action Month include:
- Hunger Action Day (Thursday, September 8th) - Wear orange to support hunger awareness.
- The NEIFB asks supporters to share what they couldn’t do without adequate nutrition by writing on an empty plate, “On an empty stomach I can’t……,” and filling in the blank with something they couldn’t achieve without the nutrition we need to thrive. Post those pictures on social media outlets and tag the NEIFB.
- A portion of food sales will be donated to the Northeast Iowa Food Bank when dining at Pepper’s in Cedar Falls (Tuesday, September 13th), Pizza Ranch in Cedar Falls (Monday, September 19th) and Newton’s in Waterloo (Tuesday, September 27th).
- A portion of orange ice cream sales from both Hansen’s Dairy Outlets in Waterloo and Cedar Falls will be donated to the Northeast Iowa Food Bank (September 8th-22nd).
- To learn about participating in Hunger Action Month, please visit: www.hungeractionmonth.org.
About the Northeast Iowa Food Bank
The Northeast Iowa Food Bank provides nutritious food and grocery products, to about 200 nonprofit organizations and programs who assist the hungry, and to individuals who need food assistance to sustain life. Last year, the Food Bank distributed more than 8 million pounds of food within a 16-county service area.
The Food Bank provides 8 programs that serve the community-Member Agency Distribution, Cedar Valley Food Pantry, the BackPack Program, Kids Cafe, Elderly Nutrition, Mobile Food Pantries, Summer Feeding and a Community Garden. Encompassing all of these programs is nutrition education. The Food Bank is a member of the Iowa Food Bank Association and Feeding America. Visit www.northeastiowafoodbank.org, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
About Feeding America
Feeding America is the nationwide network of 200 food banks that leads the fight against hunger in the United States. Together, we provide food to more than 46 million people through 60,000 food pantries and meal programs in communities across America. Feeding America also supports programs that improve food security among the people we serve; educates the public about the problem of hunger; and advocates for legislation that protects people from going hungry. Individuals, charities, businesses and government all have a role in ending hunger. Donate. Volunteer. Advocate. Educate. Together we can solve hunger. Visit www.feedingamerica.org, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.