Is the $1.4 Billion Powerball Jackpot A World Record?
There was no grand prize winner in Saturday's Powerball drawing. Now the jackpot is an estimated $1.4 billion for Wednesday (Jan. 13, 2016), but is that the largest ever lottery jackpot seen in the world?
All though the $1.3 billion jackpot is a U.S. record jackpot, Spain holds the record for largest jackpot in the world.
Spain's Sorteo Extraordinario de Navidad (Spanish Christmas Lottery) can be considered to be the world's largest lottery jackpot. In 2012, the jackpot totaled $3.297 billion. Instead of a few winners, there are 1,000's of winners in this annual lottery that has 100's of years of history. Winning numbers are announced during a television that latest three to four hours.
Here are the Top Five Biggest Jackpots in U.S. Lottery History:
Value is before cash value is considered
1. $1.3 billion - Powerball - January 13, 2016 - Drawing outcome TBD
2. $656 million - Mega Millions - March 30, 2012 - 3 winning tickets sold (KS, IL, & MD)
3. $648 million - Mega Millions - December 17, 2013 - 2 winning tickets sold (CA, GA)
4. $590.5 million - Powerball - May 18, 2013 - 1 winning ticket was sold (FL)
5. $587.5 million - November 28, 2012 - 2 winning tickets were sold (AZ, MO)