Wartburg Baseball Team Ranked In National Poll
The Wartburg Knights are ranked among the top 30 teams nationally in this week's American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA) poll, which the organization released on Tuesday (April 12, 2016).
The Knights (16-6 overall, 9-1 IIAC) enter the rankings at No. 25, after taking three of four games from 18th-ranked Buena Vista over the weekend. Wartburg swept a doubleheader from the Beavers on Saturday, and each team claimed a victory on Sunday.
The series was an important one for the Knights in the Iowa Conference (IIAC) race. Wartburg was chosen to win the regular-season title in a preseason survey of league coaches, while Buena Vista was picked to finish second. The Knights came away from the series in sole possession of first-place by two games in the IIAC standings. They've won 10 of their last 11 games entering this weekend's series at Dubuque.
Junior rightfielder Jake Thumann (DeWitt) led the Knights offensively, going 6-for-12 with four RBI during the series. On the mound, senior Parker Bolt (Reinbeck) pitched eight shutout innings and struck out 10 batters in the second game of the series on Friday. Thuman was named Iowa Conference male athlete of the week and hitter of the week, while Bolt earned pitcher of the week honors, league officials announced Tuesday.
Thumann's weekly accomplishments:
- Hit .389 (7-18) on the week as Wartburg went 5-1 and holds a three game lead in the IIAC
- Reached base safely in all six games with seven hits and four walks
- Broke open a 2-1 game in opener vs. #18 Buena Vista with a three-run home run
- Two-time Position Player of the Week (3/8/15, 4/11/16)
- Last Knight to earn Baseball Position Player of the Week: DJ Utley (4/5/15)
- Last Knight student-athlete named Male Athlete of the Week: Nick Michael, Wrestling (1/18/16)
Bolt's weekly accomplishments:
- Pitched eight innings of shutout ball vs. No. 18 Buena Vista (W, 8-0)
- Struck out 10 batters to earn the win vs. BVU
- Allowed only three hits in his only start of the week
- In IIAC action he is 2-0 with a 2.40 ERA and 16 strikeouts
- Last Knight to earn Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Max Langheinrich (3/21/16)