Iowa Race Season About To Begin, Might Be A Frosty Start
The dirt track racing season in Iowa is about to fire up the engines, and a return to speedway life is not far behind. Despite the passion burning deep within many race teams and fans, it might be a frosty start to the season.
If you look on the calendar, it says that Monday, March 20, 2017 is the first day of Spring. The forecast has been anything but Spring-like. Well, to be fair, we’ve seen all four seasons the past week or so. 50 degrees. Tornado warnings. 70 degrees. Monsoon rains. Record snowfall. And to cap it off, record, below-zero temperatures. Only in Iowa.
A few brave tracks have rolled the dice and put a few end of March events on their race schedule. It’s a crap shoot at best each year. Promoters know it, but when Mother Nature cooperates, it’s a homerun for everyone involved.
The first handful of opening day specials in Iowa are slated for March 24-25. The long range forecast calls for highs struggling to hit 50 degrees and lows dropping to 35 degrees.
Boone Speedway will try and brave the elements on March 24-25 when the host their 50th Anniversary Race. Also the weekend, Lee County Speedway will hold their 5th annual Spring Extravaganza those same two nights. Both tracks will race complete shows each night.
It’s to early to see what Mother Nature has up her sleeve for the following weekend, but two more tracks will give things a ‘go’. 34 Raceway opens up the gates for the Deery Brothers Summer Series and Sprint Invaders on April 1. A two-day show is set at Cedar County Raceway. The Darkside Spring Fling will run a two-day show March 31-April 1 featuring Modifieds and SportMods.
Let’s hope that the forecast changes and pushes the high temps those days up a few degrees, maybe 10. Maybe 20. If not, it might be a banner month for Carhartt sales.
#IowaDirt Race Specials Schedule
March 24-April 8
- Boone Speedway; 50th Anniversary Race (two separate shows each night). $1k to win Modifieds & SportMods
- Lee County Speedway; 5th annual Spring Extravaganza (two separate shows each night). $1k to win UMP Late Models, $1k to win Modifieds
MARCH 31-APRIL 1:
- Cedar County Raceway; Darkside Spring Fling. $3k to win Modifieds, $2222.22 to win SportMods
- 34 Raceway; Sprint Invaders & Deery Brothers Summer Series
- Lee County Speedway; Frosbuster (Night 1)
- Benton County Speedway; Frostbuster (Night 2)
- Davenport Speedway; Rebel 5K. $1k to win IMCA Mods, IMCA SportMods, & Street Stocks
- Marshalltown Speedway; Frostbuster (Night 3)
- 34 Raceway; IRA 410 Outlaw Spring Sprint Showdown
- Boone Speedway; Frostbuster (Night 4)
- West Liberty Raceway; Deery Brothers Summer Series