High School Football Playoff Changes, Reduced Field This Fall
This Fall, the 2016 Iowa High School Football playoffs begin on Friday, October 28, and the field size has been cut in half begin with this year's playoff.
AND THEN THERE WERE 16 TEAMS:
In June 2015, the Iowa High School Athletic Association's Board of Control voted to adopt a few changes to the Iowa High School Football playoff structure (read more). The most notable change was moving from 32 to 16 teams that will now qualify for the postseason.
The driving force behind this decision is player safety." IHSAA Executive Director Alan Beste
“Today’s actions put in place a scenario for the football postseason which allows for one week between games,” said Alan Beste, IHSAA Executive Director. “The driving force behind this decision is player safety and keeping the best interest of our students at the forefront.”
WHO MAKES THE SHOW?:
In Class 3A, 2A, 1A, and A, there are seven districts with eights teams in each. The District champion and District runner-up automatically qualify. Two 'wildcard' teams will qualify to round out the field of 16.
In Class 4A and 8-Player, there are eight districts. The District champion and District runner-up automatically qualify to make up the 16 teams.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS:
- Friday, October 28, 2016 (All Classes) 7:00 PM
Quarterfinal Round Playoffs
- Friday, November 4, 2016 (All Classes) 7:00 PM
Semi Final Round Playoffs- [UNI-Dome]
- Thursday, November 10th: 8 Player- 10:06 AM, 8 Player- 1:06 PM, Class 3A- 5:36 PM, & Class 3A- 8:21 PM
- Friday, November 11th: Class A- 10:06 AM, Class A- 1:06 PM, Class 4A- 4:06 PM, & Class 4A- 7:06 PM
- Saturday, November 12th: Class 1A- 10:06 AM, Class 1A- 1:06 PM, Class 2A- 4:06 PM, & Class 2A- 7:06 PM
Final Round Playoffs- [UNI-Dome]
- Thursday, November 17th: 8 Player- 10:06 AM, Class A- 1:36 PM, & Class 3A- 7:06 PM
- Friday, November 18th: Class 1A- 11:06 AM, Class 2A- 2:06 PM, & Class 4A- 7:06 PM